This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at

Kc library for seasonal water yield

Dear all, I am using seasonal water yield for some watershed calculation.

I have an elaborated land use map, so I would need a Kc library in order to match each land use to its record in the biophysical table. Do you have any suggestions?



  • swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Giulio -

    Monthly Kc values can be more challenging to find, especially for non-agricultural land cover types. Optimally, you'd search for studies done in your area (or elsewhere in a place with similar climate.) One place to start, if you don't have local data, is this FAO table of Kc for the beginning of the season, mid-season and end of season for a large variety of crops, as well as some non-agricultural types. You would have to map these ini/mid/end values to your seasons, as appropriate. Where is your study area?

    ~ Stacie
  • Dear Stacie,

    Yeah, I was looking in the FAO tables, but I am searching Kc for particular land use such as mixed forest, baresoil, shrubland etc... mainly for hydrological use... do you have such kind of information?

  • Hi @all, this is also my question. How can I get Kc for crop land, shrubland,Woodland, mixed forest, baresoil etc


  • swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Marye -

    We usually get those parameters by doing a literature search for studies done in the area of interest, or as close as you can get. If you can't find local values, then, as the User Guide suggests, you can look at FAO Drainage and Irrigation Paper 56, which lists initial, mid-season and end-season Kc values for a range of land cover types (mostly crops.) You will need to translate ini/mid/end to the appropriate months for your area.

    ~ Stacie
  • Hi Swolny;
    Thank you very much. My research area is East Africa. I can't find published value here. I will use  FAO Drainage and Irrigation Paper 56 but there is no crop land, shrubland,Woodland, mixed forest, baresoil etc. Therefore, how can I get specific value of Root depth and kc value for these land use land cover class. Please advice me how to do.

  • Any one who help me to solve the above problem?

  • PerrinePerrine Moderator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Marye,
    One thing we recommend is to look at previous publications in the area: the crop coefficient Kc is commonly used in water balance models so you will likely find something there.
    Also note that the FAO Drainage and Irrigation paper does have some guidance for mixed forest and bare soil (in the footnotes or section "Kc ini for trees and shrubs" you will find estimates around 1 and 0.3, respectively).
  • MaryeMarye Member
    @Perrine thank you very much
Sign In or Register to comment.