This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

InVEST for Mac

I have downloaded the InVEST software a couple times now and I don't see any file that I can use to actually install this or use it. There doesn't appear to be an application file. Only a bunch of .command files (see attached). I have a presentation to give in another week to our local town Board of Commissioners and in September to our County Board of Commissioners as I attempt to influence both bodies to adopt an approach to planning that includes Natural Capital. The County BOC has already received a presentation and is interested in learning more, so my next step is to demonstrate this process. Would greatly appreciate some help troubleshooting! Many thanks - Amanda 

582 x 627 - 171K
Tagged:

Comments

• jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @Amanda, the .command files are executable ... you'll just need to right-click them and select 'Open'  (see this forum post for detailed info: http://forums.naturalcapitalproject.org/index.php?p=/discussion/924/running-invest-on-macos#latest).

Sorry about the current state of the mac builds ... we're still new to building applications on mac, and the current mac build is very much in flux as we make improvements.  For the most streamlined experience of InVEST, I would definitely recommend our Windows builds at the moment.

I'll look into this and get back to you when I have something that might be more along the lines of a typical mac user experience.
  • Thanks! That helped (have not seen this before, so learned something new!). It is returning an error telling me it is missing three files. When I opened the invest_carbon.command file it presented the window with the "run" option. When I click "run" it then gives me the "whoops!" error looking for these three files. 
    701 x 824 - 111K
    528 x 292 - 42K
  • jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    OK great!  I'm glad you're able to launch the UI.  The red X's in the UI indicate validation errors ... you can click on the button to find out more information, but the error messages are also presented in the 'Whoops!' dialog.

In this case, the sample data aren't fetched along with the InVEST mac build in the same way that sample data are fetched by the InVEST windows installer, so you'll probably want to download the sample data for InVEST 3.3.1 from here (http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-data/3.3.1/) for the models that you'd like to run.  For Carbon, you'll need both Carbon.zip and Terrestrial.zip.  The extracted sample data zipfiles can be placed anywhere on your computer, you'll just need to point the inputs within the Carbon UI to the correct file locations.