This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Habitat Risk Assessment - Buffer Issue

Hi,

I am working with the HRA model but when I finally ran the model with all its pressures I got some doubts about the results when using a buffer:

I'll explain my doubts using the attached Image:

The upper left image shows one of the habitats.
The upper right images shows the shapefile of the stressor.
The lower left image shows the buffered stressor (from intermediary folder Invest).
The lower right image shows the Habitat-Stressor Risk (from intermediary folder Invest).

The buffered stressor shows an exponential decay as chosen in the HRA Interface. However,when we look at the risk image we see a decreasing risk which starts increasing again after a certain distance (Red-->Orange-->Yellow-->Orange while we expect Red-->Orange-->Yellow-->Blue). This seems odd to me so I am wondering if you have any clue why this happens? 

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best,
Tom
735 x 587 - 90K

Comments

• Hi Tom, 

Thanks for your question.  Can you tell me more about the habitat stressor ratings for this habitat-stressor interaction?  Specifically, I'm interested in the scores related to exposure (the defaults are temporal overlap, management effectiveness, and intensity).  I think I know what might be happening to produce the result you're seeing, but some more information on the ratings would be helpful. 

Best, 

Katherine 
  • DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    edited March 2016
    Hey Tom!

I'll just add to Katherine's comment that we have made some recent changes / fixes in the model. Though I'm not sure it gets at your issue. In any event, if you'd like to try the latest and greatest for this model you can download the development version below.

Cheers,

Doug
    Post edited by Doug on
  • Thank you for the immediate response Katherine and Doug,

Here you have the criteria scores. We used 3 spatially explicit criteria and 1 non-spatially explicit for exposure. The spatially explicit have also scores 1-3 for all of the polygons.

HABITAT ONLY PROPERTIES;;;;
    ;Rating;DQ;Weight;E/C
    recovery;2;3;1;C
    connectivity;3;2;1;C

A5S25S26S27/Noise
    OVERLAP;;;;
    ;Rating;DQ;Weight;E/C
    natural;0;1;1;C
    area;1;2;1;C
    structure;1;1;1;C
    intensity;SHAPE;1;1;E
    temporal;SHAPE;1;1;E
    management;SHAPE;1;1;E
    intacross;2;1;1;E

I also enclosed a figure showing the intermediary C and E raster files for this habitat-stressor combination. The exposure raster does not look as expected...

Maybe it is important to mention that this happens for all stressor-habitat combinations in the model and not just this one.

Best,
    Tom

• The image was too large, here you have it.
    Tom
    3308 x 4675 - 887K
  • Hi Tom, 

Would you be willing to send me your inputs and results so I can take a closer look? They can be emailed to kwyatt@stanford.edu