This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Advice on how to use RIOS on Linux Ubuntu

I would like to use RIOS on Linux Ubuntu since it's the only OS I have installed on my computer.

I tried to install RIOS with Wine but I am unable to launch the program. I also tried to run it via the command line.

This:  "wine /home/fd/.wine/drive_c/Soft/RIOS/rios_cli_1.1.8.exe" returns:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 47, in <module>
  File "C:\tools\python2-x86_32\Lib\site-packages\PyInstaller\loader\pyi_importers.py", line 270, in load_module
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\win32com", line 6, in <module>
  File "C:\tools\python2-x86_32\Lib\site-packages\PyInstaller\loader\pyi_importers.py", line 270, in load_module
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\pythoncom", line 3, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\pywintypes", line 111, in __import_pywin32_system_module__
ImportError: DLL load failed: DLL init failed.
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e8d8088) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e7ba8c4) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2cbe178) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3eca30) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2b891d8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x8b7704) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3d3fe0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x101789c8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x672561c0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e24e5d8) stub

And this "wine /home/fd/.wine/drive_c/Soft/RIOS/rios_cli_1.1.8.exe rios_ipa" returns: 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 47, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\win32com", line 6, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\pythoncom", line 3, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.rios\build\rios\out00-PYZ.pyz\pywintypes", line 111, in __import_pywin32_system_module__
ImportError: DLL load failed: DLL init failed.
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e8d8088) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e7ba8c4) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2cbe178) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3eca30) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2b891d8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x8b7704) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x3d3fe0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x101789c8) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x672561c0) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1e24e5d8) stub

I understand there might be a way to compile RIOS but I don't know how to do it (unless there's guide for dummies somewhere I haven't found).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @fsdias,

We only officially support Windows binaries of RIOS, but you're welcome to try installing from source. The ubuntu apt repos should have all the binary packages you'll need (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pyqt4, gdal), and you should be able to pip install any other python package dependencies.  We unfortunately don't have a full compilation guide ... sorry!

The repository is located here: https://bitbucket.org/natcap/rios

The easiest way to launch RIOS is to:
    1. Install all your dependencies
    2. Clone the RIOS repository
    3. Install RIOS to your local python installation via `paver install` from within your cloned repo
    4. Run the RIOS cli from within your cloned repo like so: $ python exescripts/rios_cli.py rios_ipa
    That should allow you to use the RIOS application.  Good luck!
  • fsdiasfsdias Member
    edited September 2015
    Hi @jdouglass

Thanks for the tips. 

I know Linux is not supported but InVEST runs perfectly via Wine, so that's why I'm surprised RIOS doesn't work. Is there something new in the design of RIOS..?
    Post edited by fsdias on
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @fsdias, we used to use py2exe to build our frozen windows EXEs for RIOS releases.  On the last version we rolled over to pyinstaller for all kinds of good infrastructure reasons.  We're suspect that's why it no longer works on wine.  Heads up, we're doing the same thing for the next version of InVEST.  One advantage of pyinstaller is that it helps us support cross platform builds, but ironically Linux was not a priority for us (ironic because most of the developers work in Linux).

Anyway, sorry for the hassle in the short term, but also glad to hear there's interest in supporting native Linux builds.  More soon I hope!
  • Thanks @Rich for the warning about InVEST. I will try install Python and pyinstaller inside Wine's virtual driver and see if it works.

There aren't many Linux users in conservation science, but most of them are researchers. I see that you guys are extremely busy so I wouldn't dare ask for Linux support. But maybe you could consider writing some pointers on how to run RIOS and Invest in Wine or Crossover? Linux users usually help themselves, so it wouldn't have to be a very detailed step-by-step guide.
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi, sorry for the delay.  Sorry, I'm not sure we can support wine or crossover, most of our developers work in native Linux.  But if you want to try to run it natively, consider cloning the repository at https://bitbucket.org/natcap/invest and working through the detailed README that James set up.  it's got everything in there to run InVEST directly from the project and would probably suit your needs.

Note this repository is for post InVEST 3.2.0, so we haven't made an official release of InVEST off it yet, but consider working off the `develop` branch or the randomly selected 3.3.0a1 tag.