This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Descriptions of "Intermediate" folder rasters?

jellisojelliso Member
edited September 2015 in Pre/Post-Processing
Hi,

Sorry to be posting so frequently lately...

I am looking for any documentation of the rasters that are produced in the Intermediate folder when using the pre-processor. 

Specifically, I would like to know if any can be used as actual erosion risk maps. There are a number of subfolders that start with "er_"... but I don't know what they mean.  

Thanks!

Post edited by jelliso on
Tagged:

Comments

• DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @jelliso,

I think you mentioned in a previous post, but could you be more descriptive in this one about what model you are referring to? And perhaps the version of InVEST you are running? Thanks!
  • swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    @jellliso, I think you're referring to the RIOS pre-processor, yes? If so, then no, the er_* results are not erosion risk maps, they really are just intermediate calculations used when creating the upslope source, downslope retention and riparian index results that are used as inputs to RIOS. Here's a quick list of what they are:

er_ind_e: A mapping of the sediment export coefficients (from the biophysical table) to the LULC map

er_ind_r: A mapping of the sediment retention coefficients to the LULC map

er_cwgt_r: Intermediate calculation for downslope retention combining slope and er_ind_r

er_cwgt_e: Intermediate calculation for upslope source combining slope, soil depth, er_ind_e, er_ind_r, erosivity and erodibility

er_flowlen: FlowLength calculation weighted by er_cwgt_r (normalized to become the downslope retention index output)

If you'd like an erosion risk map, you might look at the InVEST SDR model. Within RIOS another option is to look at the 'objective' score maps output by IPA, which aren't quite erosion risk maps, but they will show which places are most important to cause a particular transition (restoration, protection etc) in order to improve erosion control.

~ Stacie

• Thanks Doug and Stacie. I am in fact talking about the RIOS pre-processor. Thanks for these descriptions. Let me then take a look at the InVEST SDR model.