This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Scenario generator tool

kimfungloykimfungloy Member
edited June 2015 in Pre/Post-Processing
Hi, 

I am having problems running the scenario generator tool. I am receiving an error : TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: 'unicode' and 'float'

What does this mean? Also, is there a better example of how the transition likelihood table, the factors table, and the landcover raster should be filled in? I filled them in according to the manual, but that gave me some errors in the beginning, mostly regarding the naming of the covers etc, the corresponding Id's etc. I would like a better example/tutorial than the one in the guide.

Thanks
Post edited by Doug on

Comments

• DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @kimfungloy,

I just responded to your newer post, and in doing so I came across the same inconsistencies with the documentation and what the model expects. The sample tables provided are not that helpful as I think some of the column names might not be correct. 

I'll try to ping some folks and find some helpful information!
  • Hi Doug,

thanks so much for your help. I look forward to your feedback
  • DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Looks like there is a plan to revamp the documentation this summer along with sample data. For the now the model seems to be stuck in a state of transition. Some of our engineers who were gurus for the model have moved on and it hasn't quite got picked up yet. 

I'll keep you posted if I come across any better training data. Thanks for your patience.
  • jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Also, the specific meaning of

TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: 'unicode' and 'float'

is that there's some place where the model is reading in a value (probably a table value) that is being interpreted as a text string and not a number, and the model doesn't try to cast this string to a float before attempting division.

Could you perhaps attach your model's logfile so we can see where it's breaking?

Thanks,
    James
  • Hi,

I tried adjusting the tables and running the model again. It now gives me another error:

UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xeb' in position 726: ordinal not in range(128)

However, it does produce a scenario landcover map, it places it in the workspace, not in the output map. It does show changes in landcover. I wil attach the log file.
    Hi @kimfungloy,

The error UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xeb' in position 726: ordinal not in range(128) is because there's a non-ascii character used when generating the html table, probably in the "Name" column of the transition table.  My guess from the u'\xeb' ordinal is that it's an e with umlaut (http://www.codetable.net/hex/eb) in one of the rows.  The scenario generator doesn't handle non-ASCII characters very well at the moment, so would it be possible to replace the the ë with an e or some other character and see if that works?

Thanks!
    James
  • Hi @jdouglass,

I am pleased to tell you that your solution worked! I have been able to run the model successfully. Thank you do much for all your help. 

Keep up the good work!

Kim
    Awesome, I'm glad that worked!  I'll mark this thread as resolved,  but let us know if anything else comes up!
This discussion has been closed.