This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Habitat quality model error in v 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 - blocky output and nodata patches

edited April 2015 in Terrestrial Models
Hi all,
I'm helping some colleagues run the habitat quality model. They tried InVEST 3.1.2 and I used 3.1.3. I'm attaching the outputs. Their output had big blocky NoData patches, and my output had the same blocky patches that look like artefacts (since they have stripes and straight edges, not like habitat patches). In my output with 3.1.3, these patches have many zero values, but there are also NoData values interspersed amongst them that you can find when you click around, although they're not obvious to the eye.We've already played with changing the habitat quality values in the input .csv file as well as the half-saturation constant, but the blockypatches remain, although these changes help smooth out the distributions in other parts of the landscape. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
1365 x 767 - 144K
1280 x 720 - 171K
Post edited by Nirmal_Bhagabati on

Comments

• DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hey Nirmal!

That doesn't look good at all. Hard to suggest anything up front besides there being weird values in the inputs threat rasters or something. Maybe something odd is happening with our convolution... not sure.

Is it possible to get a hold of this data for debugging on our end? If you could zip up the workspace and email / dropbox it to ddenu@stanford.edu I can take a look and find out what is going on!

Cheers
    Hi Nirmal,

Rich and I (mostly Rich) were able to get to the bottom of the issue! It was a bug where we were raising a numerical zero, but negative value to a non integer exponent. This was producing the nodata blotches.

Rich did up a patch for it which can be found in this build or later:

I tested it on this patch with the data you provided and found it to fix the issue!

Cheers
  • Hi Doug and Rich,
    You guys are superstars. Thank you so much!
    Best,
    Nirmal

No problem! Thanks for helping us find that bug.
This discussion has been closed.