Ecosystem services valuation due to damage by flooding and mitigation options

Hi ALL,

I am new-bee here and trying to figure out which tools at the moment from natcap support valuation of ecosystem services in a watershed affected by storms and flooding -- affects on soil, stream channels, nutrients, sediment retention etc. Also is there model or tool available for mitigation practices or scenario development to address it?

Thanks,
Ibe 

Comments

• PerrinePerrine Moderator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Ibe, 

There is currently no flood mitigation model maintained in the InVEST software.
    There are nutrient and sediment retention models available but they focus on the long term sediment or nutrient supply (including large events), not on the particular processes during an extreme event.

On your last question: if you are talking about mitigation practices for flooding, there is no such tool available. We have a scenario generation tool, I encourage you to read the User's guide to see if it helps with your questions.

Best,

• Hi Perrine,

Thanks for insight. 
    Do these nutrient and sediment retention models only suitable for agricultural and forested areas or for a watershed with agriculture+forest+urban areas?

I found following on natcap website about RIOS model: "It combines biophysical, social, and economic data to help users identify the best locations for protection and restoration activities....". I have to read more on it.

Thanks,
    Ibe
  • PerrinePerrine Moderator, NatCap Staff
    Hi, 

The nutrient and sediment models can be used in watersheds with urban areas.
    I'd recommend a careful read of the User's guide as there are some specific comments on these questions (e.g. using the optional drainage layer).

Best,