This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Has anyone worked with reprojecting NOAA data?

RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
edited November -1 in Pre/Post-Processing
It seems like NOAA uses their own custom projection that is difficult to reproject. Does anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• Joe_FJoe_F Member
    edited June 2013
    I have experience obtaining and working with data from the coastal service center (i.e. land cover data from C-CAP) and from the NGDC (i.e. seamless topo/bathy DEMs). If I recall correctly, these might have unique, but standard, projections. The metadata (describing the projections, datums, and units) can be tougher to track down than it ought to be but I have never had problems re-projecting those data.
    Post edited by Joe_F on
  • I believe this post might be referring to a specific customized polar grid projection for the Hydrologic Rainfall Analysis Project (HRAP). The projection parameters are located here along with an Avenue script for conversion:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oh/hrl/nwsrfs/users_manual/part2/_pdf/21hrapgrid.pdf
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oh/hrl/distmodel/hrap.htm

I am working on transforming the data into something useful for InVEST and should hopefully have something shortly.
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Thanks Joe and Brad. Brad, that's what I was talking about.
  • I need some help in preparing data for InVEST models (carbon storage and sequestration; Reservoir Hydropower Production models). My research site is in the North of Vietnam. I searched on some data sources such as CCAFS (Climate Change, Agriculture, Food and Security), NASA (ftp://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov/data/TRMM/Gridded/Derived_Products/3B42_V6/Daily/) for Precipitation data. There are many files there, and I don't know how to identify which files I need to download and how can I translate them into .shp format or .tif format.

Can any one tell me step by step because I am a GIS beginer?

Many thanks, Duc