This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Buffer for habitat quaility

Hi all

Please I need help

How can I do a Buffer in a raster layer of Land Use/Cover and threats layers needed for habitat quality model?

" The LULC raster should include the area of interest, as well as a buffer of the width of the greatest maximum threat distance.

Otherwise, locations near the edge of the area of interest may have inflated habitat quality scores, because threats

outside the area of interested are not properly accounted for.

Comments

• DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    HI,

I'm not a GIS expert by any means, but I can suggest a couple very crude methods. This buffering issue isn't a huge problem unless you really are concerned with areas on the fringe of your landcover.

Threat rasters can be generator from a shapefile usually. If you have roads or similar features you can use a polyline shapefile and then rasterize it, setting the threat / feature to a value of 1 and the everything else 0.

Actually, I'm not certain on buffering the landcover for this model... I'll ping a few of our scientists and see if they have any advice!

Doug
  • Doug

Thank you very much for the answer, The sample data available for habitat quality doesn't look like layers with buffers anyway, but in the manual for invest in the data needs section is recommended.

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Howdy -

We recommend analyzing an area that covers the maximum distance where the threats exist that you're analyzing for your area of interest. To do this, start out with a larger land use/land cover map than your area of interest strictly needs, and get or create a roads/towns/mining/whatever threats layer that also covers this larger area. If you're using a globally-available land cover, this should be relatively easy, just download more tiles or clip the global coverage to the larger area. If you're using a more specific local land cover, and cannot get coverage for a larger area, then you will have to acknowledge that not all threats are represented in your results, because they lay outside the area you have data for.

~ Stacie
  • Thanks Stacie

I understand now the purpose of the buffer, I think I can include threats next to my area of interest in my exercise.
This discussion has been closed.