Rios Coefficients - for Ag Reposting with Table

sleventalslevental Member
edited January 2015 in RIOS
Hello friends,

I am looking for guidance on values for the "general_lulc_coefficient" for the following crops [growing in Eastern Oregon].

I'll begin by mentioning that I was helped by the following source with many of my other categories.
http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Crop-Rotation-on-Organic-Farms/Text-Version/Physical-and-Biological-Processes-In-Crop-Production/Crop-Rotation-Effects-on-Soil-Fertility-and-Plant-Nutrition

On sheet 3: you can see the matching between my data and the template. There is a column called status where I sort of describe the reason for the matching. The lowest level of confidence is random and the highest is matched from template and based on literature.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Simcha

Comments

• Any thoughts? 
    Sim

• adrianvogladrianvogl Member, NatCap Staff
    Hello Sim,
    To be honest, we have not gone into that level of detail on crops in our projects when assigning the coefficient values.  If you cannot track down sources on export and retention coefficients for those different crops, you could try looking for field studies, especially by students at local universities, that have done experiments in different croplands. 

Most of our projects have either not had that level of detail in their land use classification available, or we have not been able to find enough detailed information to assign different values to all the classes.  My recommendation would be to either:
    1) reclassify the LULC layer into a simpler set of agricultural classes and assign an average value from different crop studies to those classes; or
    2) keep the LULC classification and assign the same average values to all the different classes.  This last option means that RIOS will treat all the land uses the same in its calculations, but it gives you the flexibility to assign different activities to different crop types during the budget allocation step.

To decide on the best approach, I would carefully consider your modeling design given these limitations - what is the benefit of having the fine level of detail on crop types?  Are you considering different BMPs and expect them to behave significantly differently on different crops?  Or are you interested in a more general prioritization of agricultural BMPs where a certain degree of "lumping" will not significantly affect your results?

I hope this guidance helps.  I am sorry I cannot give you more help on the specific parameter values.

Regards,
    Adrian