Soil Texture Index - RIOS Preprocessing

sleventalslevental Member
edited November 2014 in RIOS
Hi, I am wondering how to index the following soil textures that appear in my basin:
Silty clay loam
Silty loam
Loam
Gravelly loam

Comments

• Ohh, I forgot to say thanks!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Howdy -

Attached is a mapping from USDA texture types to RIOS values that was put together by a colleague at TNC, and we often use at NatCap. We will add this to the next version of the User Guide. Hope it helps...

~ Stacie

• Hi Stacie,

Seems the rios values got cut off there. Just to confirm, soil texture values should be mapped using the above table to 'rank' values from the RiosGuide_Combined_8-22-13.pdf on p. 64...as below?

Sandy 0.2 (Fine texture)
    Light 0.4
    Medium 0.6 (Medium texture)
    Heavy 0.8
    Heavy to Rock 1.0 (Coarse texture)

Thank you much in advance.
    Strange that it got cut off. Let's try again. I can't seem to remove the first (cut-off) one, but look at the second one.

~ Stacie
  • Many thanks Stacie. One followup question. I take it we should apply the "Laybe SOIL Texture Class & Coefficient" for the ranking values and not those posted below from the RiosGuide_Combined_8-22-13.pdf?

Sandy 0.2 (Fine texture)
    Light 0.4
    Medium 0.6 (Medium texture)
    Heavy 0.8
    Heavy to Rock 1.0 (Coarse texture)
    Sorry for not being more specific. You should use the table to map your sand/silt/clay texture types to the general Laybe sandy/medium/heavy classification, then use the corresponding numeric values you list above (from the RIOS User Guide) for the actual values put into RIOS.

For example, if you have a USDA texture type of 'sandy clay', that would map to a Laybe type of 'heavy', and receive a RIOS value of 0.8.

~ Stacie

• All clear now. Thanks!
  • Thnsk so much this is very helpful!
    Simcha
This discussion has been closed.