This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Rios-- download full version?

JennHoyleJennHoyle Member
edited September 2014 in RIOS
Hi All, perhaps we're missing something...but when we download RIOS we are ONLY getting the files involved in the pre-processing patch along with the Ivestment Portfolio Advisor, not a full version of RIOS. I attached an image of the RIOS program folder showing only 1 of the 3 modules. Could you instruct me on how to download RIOS 1.0.0b9 (which I am assuming is the full program?!) We downloaded version 1.0.0b10 (which is the only version available at the website right now...we think).

thanks very much!
899 x 497 - 70K

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Jenn -

No, you're not missing something. Currently, only the Portfolio Advisor is being provided, although the documentation still refers to the other two modules, which are not currently included in the RIOS install. We discovered important bugs that need to be worked out in the other modules, so until they are, only the Portfolio Advisor is shipped. Sorry for this inconvenience.

If you are interested in doing the whole process, from portfolio to return on investment, you can still do that manually by taking the portfolio results from IPA, embedding them into a landcover map, updating the InVEST coefficient database, and running InVEST manually. I can provide more details on how to do this if it's useful.

~ Stacie
  • Hi Stacie, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I would very much appreciate more details on how to go from portfolio to ROI manually.

thanks very much,

Jenn
    Sorry for the delayed response - I needed to pull a few things together for this.

Attached is a zipfile containing the following:

* RIOS_InVEST_manual_HowTo.txt - An overview of how to manually piece together RIOS and InVEST (doing the steps that RIOS Portfolio Translator and Benefits Estimator did and will some day do again.)

* Create_RIOS_portfolio_LULC - Folder containing a quick and dirty ArcGIS (10.2) toolbox and python script that does one of the manual steps for you, joining together the RIOS activity portfolio with your original LULC raster.

In the Willamette_sample_data folder:

* biophysical_table_portfolio_Willamette.csv - Sample biophysical table used in InVEST, based on our InVEST sample data, that shows what the new biophysical table might look like, once the RIOS activities have been added to the LULC.

* portfolio_protected.tif - sample portfolio LULC, the result of combining the RIOS activity portfolio with the original Willamette LULC, where areas selected for the activity of 'protection' in RIOS are protected, so retain their original LULC types.

* portfolio_unprotected.tif - same as portfolio_unprotected.tif, but now the 'protected' areas are unprotected, so these areas have had their LULC type changed to a 'degraded' LULC class (in this case I randomly chose Vineyards as the degraded type. :-))

Please don't take the values or mappings in the Willamette data as anything other than for example only, and recognize that the toolbox and script aren't officially supported, they're just what I hacked together to make the process more efficient.

Hopefully this will help. If you have further questions about the process, let us know.

~ Stacie
  • Hi Stacie-- thanks so much for this. We'll run with it and let you know if we have any questions.

thanks again,

Jenn
  • Hello,

I have a similar question but regarding the preprocessing package that allows us to create upslope source, downslope retention index, riparian continuity, and slope index to use in RIOS. It doesn't seem to be part of RIOS 10.0.0b10 anymore, all I got in the download was the IPA and documentation.

The documentation says that an alternative is to do this in ArcMap, but gives no indication of how, could you possible point me in the right direction?

Many thanks for any help,
    Frederic
    Hi Frederic -

I'm using RIOS b10, and the preprocessor is located in the RIOS install folder, and is called RIOS_Pre_Processing.tbx. You should be able to add this toolbox to an ArcGIS document and use the tool inside called RIOS Pre-processing. If this toolbox and script are not in your install folder, you might want to try re-installing - maybe something went wrong?

~ Stacie
  • Hello Stacie,

Thanks for the quick reply. Strange, there must have been an issue with the download, I didn't get RIOS_Pre_Processing.tbx

I'll give it another shot and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Fred
  • Hello again,

Found it! Huge relief

Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help,
    Fred
    Hi all -

Just wanted to post an update to the Create_RIOS_portfolio_LULC python script that combines the LULC with the RIOS-generated activity portfolio. I worked around the bug in the last one, and updated it a bit: For the two output rasters: "portfolio_protected" is where lands chosen for the activity of protection remain their original LULC class, while in the "portfolio_unprotected" output, protected land cover types have been changed into a user-defined 'degraded' cover type. This is keeping more in line with the PORTER tool that was originally provided with InVEST.

~ Stacie