RIOS IPA budget allocation

andyandy Member
edited August 2014 in RIOS
Hello,

I use the RIOS model the first time and I do not feel really certain at all.
The model runs completly succesfull but now I have a problem with the total budget report.
I entered a yearly floating budget but the model just spent nearly 12% of the total budget to the activities.

Can anybody explane why there is not the full budget spended?

Attached you can find the rios-log document.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Andy

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Andy -

When I've seen this happen, the usual cause is that there just isn't enough area available to spend all of the money, after applying the limitations of which LULC classes are allowed to have different activities on them, choosing one activity over another where they overlap on a grid cell, and any prevent layer that you've defined (which I it doesn't look like you're using from reading through the log file.)

Check these things out and see if it helps explain the results. Also, make sure you're using the latest version of RIOS and if not, please try it and let us know if that changes anything. Otherwise, to help figure out what's happening, it would help for you to post your land use map, LULC->activity mapping table and any prevent layers that you might be using. I'd also be interested to see your HTML report, just to get an idea of which activities are having the money allocated to them.

~ Stacie
  • andyandy Member
    Hello Stacie,

thank for your quick response.
    Yes, I use the latest version of RIOS.
    I try it again and choosing just one activity for each LULC class. But the result is still the same. I don't use any prevent layers.

Attached is my land use map and the LULC activity table. Here is the HTML report:
    file:///D:/Dokumente/RIOS/Thadee/1_investment_portfolio_adviser_workspace/html_report_Thadee10/ipa_report_Thadee10.html

It would be great if you can have a look.

Thanks a lot!

Andy
  • adrianvogladrianvogl Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Andy,
    Are there areas of degraded forest, evergreen forest, rubber, and fruit that are still not selected in the final portfolio? I cannot tell from your attachments what your total budget and activity costs are, or what the final portfolio looks like. Can you check the final activity portfolio (can be found in your workspace folder under ...\1_investment_portfolio_adviser_workspace\activity_portfolios\activity_portfolio_total.tif) - see if there are still areas of those LULCs not included in the portfolio.

If all the available lands are already selected, that means that a portion of the budget was spent and then there was no more available land to do the activities on, which leaves an outstanding budget not spent.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  • adrianvogladrianvogl Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Andy,
    Are there areas of degraded forest, evergreen forest, rubber, and fruit that are still not selected in the final portfolio? I cannot tell from your attachments what your total budget and activity costs are, or what the final portfolio looks like. Can you check the final activity portfolio (can be found in your workspace folder under ...\1_investment_portfolio_adviser_workspace\activity_portfolios\activity_portfolio_total.tif) - see if there are still areas of those LULCs not included in the portfolio.

If all the available lands are already selected, that means that a portion of the budget was spent and then there was no more available land to do the activities on, which leaves an outstanding budget not spent.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  • andyandy Member
    Hi Adrian,

i've checked the final portfolio. There are areas of those LULCs that are not selected. When I compare my land use input map and the final portfolio than there are a lot of areas that are not included in the final portfolio. I also checked the area converted (ha) and compare it with the available land area -it is just a little part.

By the way, I thought that the RIOS model does first choose the areas where activities are most efficient to cause transitions, doesn't it? Especially the hillside areas (same land use as in flat areas) where the conservation activities should have the highest potential to change something (under the consideration of the ersion control objective) are not selected in the final portfolio.

Do you have any idea where the failure could be?

Maybe it helps to see the final portfolio (attached)

Thanks!
    Best regards,

Andy
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Andy, sorry for the big delay on this. If you're still having this issue, can you dropbox me your RIOS data input stack so I can take a look? That email is richsharp@stanford.edu