Habitat Quality Model

shivi123shivi123 Member
edited June 2014 in Terrestrial Models
Hii
I ran Habitat Quality Model for my area using several threat layers. The model gave me a habitat quality map with its score ranging from 0.02 to 0.25. However, The model dose not give any criteria to classify this score into classes. If suppose I want to classify it into good moderate or poor quality or similar categories . Is there a method prescribed by Invest team or Model Makers to classify these ranges into intervals or classes?

Thanks.

Comments

• RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    I'm not certain there is good guidance to say good/moderate/poor, as much as it's a relative index. I'll ping one of the scientists on staff to see if I can get you a better answer.
  • LisaLisa Member
    Rich is right -- the habitat quality score is a relative index and doesn't have an inherent division into different quality classes. However, if you have information on the distribution or abundance of the species of interest, at least over part of your area of interest, you can use that as a basis for classifying your scores.

I'd recommend the Biological Conservation paper "Ecosystem services reinforce Sumatran tiger conservation in land use plans" (accessible here), authored by several NatCappers and colleagues, for a good example of this can be done. See Appendix F in particular for details.