Carbon Sequestration

eashkeneashken Member
edited June 2014 in Terrestrial Models
I ran the carbon with current and future land use layers. I don't understand why the sequestration output is 0. I have run 2 models with the different data and the results for both are 0. Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Thanks much for your time,
Erica

Comments

• RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Erica, I emailed you on the side, but want to follow up here for posterity:
    What an interesting bug! In one landscape there are a bunch of nodata values, but in the future(?) landscape those nodata values were filled in with valid landcover types. By default our sequestration module ignores any pixel stacks that have nodata values in them. I can see how you might not want that behavior, so I've added a patch that treats nodata values like 0 carbon stocks in the case where one map has a non-nodata value. On the other hand, you might want to be careful about that behavior since you're transitioning from a landcover that has zero carbon stocks to one that has nonzero stocks. In that case you're not measuring the real carbon sequestration on the landscape, but rather an artifact due to the appearance of a suddenly valid area in the carbon map.

At any rate, if that's the behavior you'd like you can download a patched version of InVEST here and uninstall the previous version you have: http://ncp-dev.stanford.edu/~dataportal/nightly-build/InVEST_dev74_3_0_1 [2618cc0940e5]_x86_Setup.exe.