This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Input re: InVEST needs from WWF Cambodia and others at Phnom Penh InVEST training (June 17-21 2013)

edited June 2013 in Trainings
Hi all,
More detailed feedback to follow, but some of the top input that we got in Cambodia regarding what both WWF and others (academics, govt partners) would like to see from InVEST:

- a lot of interest in the NTFP model (they are key to livelihoods in our priority landscapes); we see a demand for this model at most of our WWF trainings, and people want to know when they can finally use the model

- likewise, in this and all other WWF trainings, a lot of interest in the habitat quality model, and exactly the same requests for improvement (can it incorporate elevation, slope etc in calculating quality; and can we include features like watering holes to bump up habitat quality in the neighborhood of these features?). This is the same feedback we got from Bhutan.

- the Belize game was a huge hit; WWF Cambodia wants a terrestrial and freshwater version that they would like to use in a follow-up training at the province level in about 3 months, and they would like it to incorporate NTFPs as well, given the importance of these to community livelihoods. Any chance we can provide this?
More soon,
Thanks,
Nirmal

Comments

• LisaLisa Member
    Hi Nirmal,

It's great to see this feedback!

The features requested for the habitat quality model can currently be incorporated without too much difficulty through pre-processing in GIS. The LULC map input and associated habitat score can be classified according to elevation, slope, proximity to watering holes, or any other relevant feature that be broken into categories, in addition to LULC type. I am not sure if there are plans to automate this in the model currently, but I could add information on this pre-processing option to the user's guide, if that would be helpful.

Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,
    The elevation mask can be done without too much problem, the water hole / other feature proximity probably as well (through a post-processing step that enhances quality in the neighborhood?), although I don't quite know the GIS steps for the latter. It would be great to have those pre- (and post)-processing steps described in the user guide as a first step, so thanks for offering to include them.

However, automating them as options would be useful as this feature keeps getting requested by field partners. We have already written a draft document on how to incorporate these into the model; it's been submitted to and approved the NatCap software development team, so look forward to seeing the updates. I can send you the document if you would like. Thanks,
    Nirmal
  • LisaLisa Member
    Hi Nirmal,

To add watering holes to the LULC map via pre-processing, distance would have to be treated as a categorical variable (near/not, or some finite number of distance categories), but could otherwise be done the same as slope and then crossed with the habitat categories. This gives the users flexibility to decide if there are interactions (e.g., are urban areas near watering holes really better habitat than urban areas far from watering holes?).

I'll add this to my list of User's Guide updates until the software team has the chance to make the changes to the model itself.

Lisa