InVEST 3.0.1 Released

RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
edited May 2014 in General
Hi InVEST Users,

Today we released InVEST 3.0.1, a minor patch to InVEST 3.0.0. In general it fixes a host of minor bugs and a few major bugs and contains performance and usability updates across all the models. We recommend that users upgrade to this version which can be downloaded from http://www.naturalcapitalproject.org/download.html

Some of the updates and bug fixes include:

* InVEST Blue Carbon model upgraded from unstable to stable.

* Updated the pollination model to conform with the latest InVEST geoprocessing standards, resulting in an approximately 33% speedup.

* Improved the InVEST UI’s ability to remember the last folder visited, and to have all file and folder selection dialogs have access to this information.

* HRA UI now properly reflects that the Resolution of Analysis is in meters, not meters squared, and thus will be applied as a side length for a raster pixel.

* HRA now accepts CSVs for ratings scoring that are semicolon separated as well as comma separated.

* Fixed a minor bug in InVEST’s geoprocessing aggregate core that now consistently outputs correct zonal stats from the underlying pixel level hydro outputs which affects the water yield, sediment, and nutrient models.

* Added compression to InVEST output geotiff files. In most cases this reduces output disk usage by a factor of 5.

* Fixed an issue where CSVs in the sediment model weren’t open in universal line read mode.

* Fixed an issue where approximating whether pixel edges were the same size was not doing an approximately equal function.

* Fixed an issue that made the CV model crash when the coastline computed from the landmass didn’t align perfectly with that defined in the geomorphology layer.

* Fixed an issue in the CV model where the intensity of local wave exposure was very low, and yielded zero local wave power for the majority of coastal segments.

* Fixed an issue where the CV model crashes if a coastal segment is at the edge of the shore exposure raster.

* Fixed the exposure of segments surrounded by land that appeared as exposed when their depth was zero.

* Fixed an issue in the CV model where the natural habitat values less than 5 were one unit too low, leading to negative habitat values in some cases.

* Fixed an exponent issue in the CV model where the coastal vulnerability index was raised to a power that was too high.

* Fixed a bug in the Scenic Quality model that prevented it from starting, as well as a number of other issues.

* Fixed an issue in Marine Water Quality where the UV points were supposed to be optional, but instead raised an exception when not passed in.

Post edited by Rich on

Comments

• Hello Rich
    The link is not working. Thank you for your great job!
    Best regards.
    r.
  • jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    The link to download QGIS should be fixed now. Was that the one you were thinking of, or was there another link that was broken?
  • My reference is about the InVEST link. In the page http://www.naturalcapitalproject.org/download.html the Download link http://ncp-dev.stanford.edu/~dataportal/invest-releases/InVEST_3_0_1_x86_Setup.exe is not working.
    Proved with http and jdownloader.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. The link works for me, so I'm not really sure what's going on. Have you been able to download other versions of InVEST?

Can you try this alternate link?
    http://ncp-dev.stanford.edu/~dataportal/nightly-build/InVEST_3_0_1_x86_Setup.exe
  • It is working without problem. Thank you.
    Great! Glad it's working.
  • SPardoSPardo Member
    Hey NatCappers,

I was having issues running v3.0.1 for the sediment retention model, while the same set of inputs worked with v3.0.0 -- more info in this thread:
    http://ncp-yamato.stanford.edu/natcapforums/discussion/300/sediment-retention-memory-error#Item_2

Is it possible that my 10m DEM may have caused the memory error?
  • When do you anticipate the scenario generator being stable? The unstable form is unstable because....?
  • The scenario generator should be stable for the next release in the coming weeks. With the 3.0.1 release it is unstable because a change just before the released made it unusable. That change will be removed in the next release and there is currently some performance optimization that will be done as well.
  • the link provided to download invest is not functioning properly so I failed to have upgraded InVEST 3.1.0
  • DougDoug Administrator, NatCap Staff
    The current release is InVEST 3.0.1 and found here: InVEST 3.0.1

I just went to our website and was able to download it. What kind of issues are you having?
  • i have downloaded the invest , but do not have arcgis 10.0,
    where can i download arcgis 10.0 service pack to run invest
  • swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    You only need ArcGIS if you want to use the Coastal Protection model.

If you want to use the Coastal Protection model and need an update to ArcGIS, you can get it from the ESRI website. If you want to use Coastal Protection and do not have ArcGIS at all, then this is more difficult, as ArcGIS is very expensive, and it would not be worth buying just for one model. In this case, maybe ask your work or your school if they provide ArcGIS (for example, many schools do.)

~ Stacie
  • i have downloaded invest 3.0 and QGis ,
    but the userguide in the invest guides for using ArcGIS toolbox
    for opening the invest tool box, im unable to open it in QGIS
    im a first time user , can you pls guide me
    The Coastal Protection toolbox only runs in ArcGIS, not QGIS. If you need to use Coastal Protection, then you will have to get access to ArcGIS. Sorry about this current limitation. If you are looking for any of our other models (except Coastal Protection), you can find them in the Windows Start Menu in the folder "InVEST ".

~ Stacie
  • Hi Stacie;
    For the blue carbon model, how the final outputs can be visualized without using ArcGIS? As I realized, the outputs of BCM will be a number of raster maps. So, could you please let me know how they can be used in a report?
    Many thanks
    Behnaz
  • Hi Behnaz,

InVEST is a computational tool not a visualization tool. The outputs from the models are GeoTIFFs and Shapefiles, which can be visualized in almost any GIS. Stacie's reply was about how you run the models, not how to visualize them. All the InVEST models except for Costal Projection must now be run as standalone models outside of ArcGIS.

Cheers,
    Martin
  • Thanks Martin for the quick reply.
  • hi Stacie,

with the video shown about running the water yield model, im unable to open the tiff files in the water yield model, have only aux files in the base data, and all other files are adf extension, which is the extension of GDAL raster files. im trying to run in the invest 3.0.1 version.

regards
    jinji
    Hi Jinji -

Which tiff files are you referring to that you can't open? Are these results from running the Water Yield model? Which GIS program are you trying to open them with? ArcGIS? Quantum GIS? If ArcGIS, which version?

For the base data files, these are unfortunately still ESRI GRID files. To enter them into the Water Yield model, go into the folder for the input you're entering (like 'precip') and use 'hdr.adf' as the input to the model.

~ Stacie
This discussion has been closed.