This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Carbon model

Hi,
I am using carbon sequestration and storage model for first time in my country. This model needs an input namely 'Future Raster" but i don't know how to make that raster. So kindly suggest me any model for that or methodology for building the Future Raster and Guide me to solve this problem. So that i could complete my research as soon as possible. This is the last step in my research.
Hope you will reply as soon as possible.
Tagged:

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi @Nooruddin -

The future land use/land cover raster is only needed if you are calculating carbon sequestration over time. If you only want to calculate carbon stocks at the current time, then you only need to provide the current raster, not a future one. 

If you do want to calculate sequestration, then you will need to decide on a future scenario that is relevant to your work. Often this is related to land use change, or looking at the effects of land management, like improved agricultural practices. There are many ways to create the future raster. Sometimes you are working with stakeholders who will give input that you incorporate into your maps. You could use a tool like the InVEST Scenario Generator for a relatively simple way of applying land change rules to create a new map. Or you can do a manual GIS process to change different areas to a different land cover type, tree age, or agricultural practice. 

~ Stacie

• Thanks.
    I have use InVEST Scenario Generator Proximity Based for future raster and i have got 3 outputs namely Base_LULC, Masked_LULC and Nearest to edge tiff. Then I use these outputs one by one in InVEST Carbon Model for calculating Carbon sequestration over time but i got some errors. I am attaching those errors Kindly give me solution for that errors. And kindly also suggest me to use which output as a future raster. Once again thanks for the response.
  • DaveDave Member, Administrator, NatCap Staff
    This model has recently been updated so please try out the latest version of InVEST (3.6.0) to see if that resolves your issue.

Thanks,