"line contains NULL byte" error in the carbon model

Hello, it is the first time to use the carbon model and I got the problem.
Please let me know what it means and how to fix?
The log is pasted below.
Thank you!

02/06/2019 16:57:04  natcap.invest.carbon INFO     Building file registry
02/06/2019 16:57:04  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x113FD2F0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\model.py", line 1541, in _logged_target
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\carbon.py", line 122, in execute
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\utils.py", line 432, in build_lookup_from_csv
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 678, in parser_f
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 440, in _read
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 787, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 1024, in _make_engine
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 2082, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\parsers.py", line 2212, in _make_reader
Error: line contains NULL byte
02/06/2019 16:57:04  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
02/06/2019 16:57:04  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 0.06s
Tagged:

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi @urgendalai -

It would be helpful if you post the entire log file (.txt) that the model produces in your Workspace - that gives us more information to work with.

Until then, I wonder if your carbon pool table has a blank line at the end of the rows - that sometimes causes problems. You can really only see those if you look at the .csv in a text editor. If there is a blank line, delete it in the text editor and try running again. If you still get the error, please post the whole log file - thanks.

~ Stacie
  • @swolny

I checked roughly the carbon pool file but did not find the blank line.
    The whole log file is attached, please let me know if you found any thing.
    Thank you!
  • @swolny

Hi, I just found the carbon pool table was saved the wrong format, so I saved it again as .csv. 
    But there is a new problem in the table, please see the new attached file, Thank you.
    Hi @urgendalai -

Does your carbon pool table have a field named "c_below"? If not, check out the User Guide for the Carbon model - it lists the fields that are required. Even if you do not have data for all carbon pools, the field must be there and you can give a value of zero.

~ Stacie
  • @swolny

I do have this column for sure, this is why I can't figure the problem out.
    Interesting. Can you send your data to swolny at stanford.edu? I'll check it out.

~ Stacie
    Thanks for sending your data. The error was caused by there being a space in front of two of your field names. If you look at the .csv in a text editor, it's easier to see than in Excel, but the column "c_below" was entered as " c_below" (with a space before the c), same thing for c_soil. When I removed those spaces, the model ran fine.

~ Stacie

• @swolny

Thank you for helping me correct it! Now I see the problem. No space allowed in .csv.