This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Coastal Blue Carbon: Error with transitient_table

Dear developers, I am working with the Coastal blue carbon model from InVEST 3.5.0. The error that I have when I try to run the model is the next:

01/17/2019 16:23:51  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\InVEST-Coastal-Blue-Carbon-log-2019-01-17--16_23_51.txt
01/17/2019 16:23:51  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
Arguments for InVEST natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon 3.5.0:
analysis_year              
carbon_pool_initial_uri    D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_initial_baleares.csv
carbon_pool_transient_uri  D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/transitions_table.csv
do_economic_analysis       False
lulc_baseline_map_uri      D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/prad_rast3.tif
lulc_baseline_year         2020
lulc_lookup_uri            D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/lulc_lookup.csv
lulc_transition_maps_list  [u'D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/prd_rast_20501.tif']
lulc_transition_matrix_uri D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_transitien.csv
lulc_transition_years_list [u'30']
results_suffix             bal_pres_50
workspace_dir              D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon

01/17/2019 16:23:51  natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon INFO     Starting Coastal Blue Carbon model run...
01/17/2019 16:23:51  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     n_workers == 1 so a threadpool is sufficient
01/17/2019 16:23:52  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     1 of 2 aligned: aligned_lulc_bal_pres_50.tif
01/17/2019 16:23:52  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     2 of 2 aligned: aligned_transition_30_bal_pres_50.tif
01/17/2019 16:23:53  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     aligned all 2 rasters.
01/17/2019 16:23:53  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x15D73670>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\model.py", line 1541, in _logged_target
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 126, in execute
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 698, in get_inputs
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 911, in _create_transient_dict
  File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\utils.py", line 444, in build_lookup_from_csv
ValueError: code expected in ['lulc-class', 'cnyzn', 'po', 'zn', 'sp', 'cn', 'mmpo'] for the CSV file at D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/transitions_table.csv
01/17/2019 16:23:53  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
01/17/2019 16:23:53  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 1.28s

I have verified that the "lulc-class" correspond with the same classes in the rest of the tables, I just can't understand why is not working.

thanks in advanced

Alberto 

Comments

• jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Alberto,

The InVEST Coastal Blue Carbon model expects there to be a 'code' column as well as an 'lulc-class' column.  Here's the relevant section in the UG (under "Carbon Accumulation/Disturbance Transient Variables Table (CSV)"): http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/nightly-build/invest-users-guide/html/coastal_blue_carbon.html#id3

Hope this helps!
    James
  • Hi Douglass,

Well, even if the template for the carbon_transitien csv do not include a "code" column, I added it. Now the error is with the "yearly-accumulation". I going to add all my data and the last log, I hope you can solve the problem and also I hope that you can explain to me where the error is because I have to run this model several times with different data.

My last log is:

01/23/2019 09:48:00  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\InVEST-Coastal-Blue-Carbon-log-2019-01-23--09_48_00.txt
    01/23/2019 09:48:00  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
    Arguments for InVEST natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon 3.5.0:
    analysis_year              
    carbon_pool_initial_uri    D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_initial_baleares.csv
    carbon_pool_transient_uri  D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/transitions_table.csv
    lulc_baseline_map_uri      D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/prad_rast3.tif
    lulc_lookup_uri            D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/lulc_lookup.csv
    lulc_transition_maps_list  [u'D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/prd_rast_20501.tif']
    lulc_transition_matrix_uri D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_transitien.csv
    workspace_dir              D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon

01/23/2019 09:48:00  natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon INFO     Starting Coastal Blue Carbon model run...
    01/23/2019 09:48:00  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     n_workers == 1 so a threadpool is sufficient
    01/23/2019 09:48:00  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     1 of 2 aligned: aligned_lulc_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/23/2019 09:48:01  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     2 of 2 aligned: aligned_transition_30_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/23/2019 09:48:01  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     aligned all 2 rasters.
    01/23/2019 09:48:01  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x1744F670>
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\model.py", line 1541, in _logged_target
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 126, in execute
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 701, in get_inputs
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 701, in <genexpr>
    KeyError: 'yearly-accumulation'
    01/23/2019 09:48:01  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
    01/23/2019 09:48:01  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 1.35s

Thanks in advanced

Alberto
    Hi Alberto,

Thanks for including your data as well as your logfile!

So, there are two issues here:

1) Based on your logfile, the 'transient' and 'transition' tables are mixed up.  Based on the files you provided, these are the proper table inputs to the model:

* "Carbon Pool Transient Variables Table (CSV)": carbon_pool_transitien.csv
    * "LULC Transition Effect of Carbon Table (CSV)": transitions_table

In the logfile, these two tables are reversed.

2) You were right that the 'code' column should not be in your transitions_table.csv.  You'll need to remove that column.

With these two corrections, the model runs fine!

James
  • Hi James,

Had you really run the model with my data? I just had used the same data that I had attached here, changing the code of the transitions_Table, and the error persists:

01/25/2019 09:15:01  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\InVEST-Coastal-Blue-Carbon-log-2019-01-25--09_15_01.txt
    01/25/2019 09:15:01  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
    analysis_year              
    carbon_pool_transient_uri  D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_transitien.csv
    lulc_baseline_map_uri      D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/prd_ras_2020.tif
    lulc_lookup_uri            D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/lulc_lookup.csv
    lulc_transition_maps_list  [u'D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/prd_rst_2050.tif']
    lulc_transition_matrix_uri D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/transitions_table.csv

01/25/2019 09:15:01  natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon INFO     Starting Coastal Blue Carbon model run...
    01/25/2019 09:15:01  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     n_workers == 1 so a threadpool is sufficient
    01/25/2019 09:15:01  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     1 of 2 aligned: aligned_lulc_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/25/2019 09:15:02  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     2 of 2 aligned: aligned_transition_30_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/25/2019 09:15:02  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     aligned all 2 rasters.
    01/25/2019 09:15:02  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x1708B670>
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 698, in get_inputs
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 911, in _create_transient_dict
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\utils.py", line 444, in build_lookup_from_csv
    ValueError: code expected in ['lulc-class', 'biomass-half-life', 'biomass-low-impact-disturb', 'biomass-med-impact-disturb', 'biomass-high-impact-disturb', 'biomass-yearly-accumulation', 'soil-half-life', 'soil-low-impact-disturb', 'soil-med-impact-disturb', 'soil-high-impact-disturb', 'soil-yearly-accumulation'] for the CSV file at D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/carbon_pool_transitien.csv
    01/25/2019 09:15:02  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
    01/25/2019 09:15:02  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 1.28s

HI Alberto,

Yes, I did run the model with your inputs, given the changes I mentioned in my previous post, so I'm a little surprised that it isn't working now that the tables are in the correct inputs.  One other thing you could try would be to re-save your CSV files with comma delimiters rather than semicolons.  Semicolon delimiters can cause the error you mention.

Also, you'll want to set your LULC transition years to be 2050 instead of 30.
  • Hi again James! and thank you very much, Now the error is something related to "yearly accumulation". I switched the tables correctly and I have transformed the tables in comma instead in semicolons. Additionally I have setted the transitions years to be 2050.

Alberto

01/28/2019 20:30:15  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\InVEST-Coastal-Blue-Carbon-log-2019-01-28--20_30_15.txt
    01/28/2019 20:30:15  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
    analysis_year              
    carbon_pool_initial_uri    D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/carbon_pool_initial_baleares_coma.csv
    carbon_pool_transient_uri  D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/transitions_table_coma.csv
    lulc_baseline_map_uri      D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/prd_ras_2020.tif
    lulc_lookup_uri            D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/lulc_lookup_coma.csv
    lulc_transition_maps_list  [u'D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/prd_rst_2050.tif']
    lulc_transition_matrix_uri D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/carbon_pool_transitien_coma.csv
    lulc_transition_years_list [u'2050']

01/28/2019 20:30:15  natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon INFO     Starting Coastal Blue Carbon model run...
    01/28/2019 20:30:15  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     n_workers == 1 so a threadpool is sufficient
    01/28/2019 20:30:16  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     1 of 2 aligned: aligned_lulc_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/28/2019 20:30:16  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     2 of 2 aligned: aligned_transition_2050_bal_pres_50.tif
    01/28/2019 20:30:17  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     aligned all 2 rasters.
    01/28/2019 20:30:17  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x169FB670>
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 701, in get_inputs
      File "C:\Users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\GCE-windows-1\env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\coastal_blue_carbon\coastal_blue_carbon.py", line 701, in <genexpr>
    01/28/2019 20:30:17  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
    01/28/2019 20:30:17  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 1.59s

• Hi James, finally I've tried all that I've could. I've remake the tables, and used other program to save the files in the correct format (comma instead semicolon). I've revised the raster files also to verify that they have the same scale and aspects.

The error persists in "yearly accumulation",  see attached the LOG for details, you said me that you run the model with my input data but I can't really reach it, so I hope it gonna work soon.

Thanks for your assistance 

Alberto

02/04/2019 11:15:41  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\Blue_Carbon\InVEST-Coastal-Blue-Carbon-log-2019-02-04--11_15_41.txt
    02/04/2019 11:15:41  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
    analysis_year              
    carbon_pool_initial_uri    D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/carbon_pool_initial_baleares_OO.csv
    carbon_pool_transient_uri  D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/transitions_table_OO.csv
    lulc_lookup_uri            D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/lulc_lookup_OO.csv
    lulc_transition_matrix_uri D:/Users/albertonk91/Desktop/UAM master/LIFE_FER/Praderas_marinas/shapes atlas/Baleares/Data_need_blue_carbon/Blue_Carbon/carbon_pool_transitien_OO.csv
    workspace_dir              D:\Users\albertonk91\Desktop\UAM master\LIFE_FER\Praderas_marinas\shapes atlas\Baleares\Data_need_blue_carbon\Blue_Carbon

02/04/2019 11:15:41  natcap.invest.coastal_blue_carbon.coastal_blue_carbon INFO     Starting Coastal Blue Carbon model run...
    02/04/2019 11:15:41  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     n_workers == 1 so a threadpool is sufficient
    02/04/2019 11:15:42  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     1 of 2 aligned: aligned_lulc_bal_pres_50.tif
    02/04/2019 11:15:43  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     2 of 2 aligned: aligned_transition_30_bal_pres_50.tif
    02/04/2019 11:15:43  pygeoprocessing.geoprocessing INFO     aligned all 2 rasters.
    02/04/2019 11:15:43  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x158EB670>
    02/04/2019 11:15:43  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
    02/04/2019 11:15:43  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 1.66s

Hi Alberto,

With the changes noted above, I was able to get the model to run on your inputs, and I've put a screenshot of the CBC interface and the two tables I modified as mentioned above into the google drive folder below so you can use them.

Hope this helps!
    James
  • Dear James,

I do not know how to thank you for all the help, the model works fine with your inputs and I hope that it going works in the rest of the areas that I have to use it. I will let you know when I finish it. I just have to say that the assistance on this forum is excellent and I would like to let you know.

Best regards

Alberto
    Thanks, Alberto!  Good luck with the rest of the areas in your study!