Prepare data for Water Yield

Dear all,

I try to create depth_to_root_rest_layer.tif. In the manual item 4. "Choose Toolbox > GRASS GIS 7 commands > r.reclass from the processing menu to reclassify soil_aoi_32632.tif with the provided reclass rules roots.txt". Does anyone experience on how_to_create/what_is the roots.txt? I stuck here.

All the bests,

Ekvinay

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi Ek -

I have not taken the MOOC, but from reading the instructions, it sounds like "roots.txt" should be a file that is provided with the other sample data, along with soil_aoi_32632.tif.  Is "roots.txt" not provided in the sample data?

~ Stacie
  • EkvinayEkvinay Member
    edited July 10
    Dear Stacie,

Thank for your kind response. 

Apart from this I also try the 'Colombia's Water Yield' the data provided are useful and could follow and model 'water yield', but when I try to do the same for our own case- It is hardly, for me, for acquisition and pre-processing some data inputs. Where should I find a step-by-step manual for data pre-processing?

All the bests,
    Ek
    Post edited by Ekvinay on
    Hi Ek -

I'm talking with our training coordinator about the 'roots.txt' issue, and we'll get back to you on that soon.

Unfortunately, we do not have a step-by-step manual that helps you pre-process your own data for InVEST. Everyone gets their data from different sources, and each dataset is different, with a variety of formats and units, so it is hard to make a general guide. However, if you look at the Data Sources section of the User Guide, we do give some ideas, data sources, methods and equations for each data input, that might get you started. Also, if you search the forum, people have asked questions about processing different specific datasets, and there might be useful information for you there. 

And of course, if you have specific data questions that are not addressed in the forum or user Guide, please post to the forum and we'll try to help.

~ Stacie

• HenryBHenryB Member, Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Ek,

I'm following up here about the roots.txt issue. When you downloaded the exercise packet from the Unige MOOC, did it come as a compressed folder that then expanded to a folder containing PDFs for the various pieces of the activity, along with a few other files? The roots.txt file is in that directory. I've also attached it here. 

In QGIS, from the r.reclass window, in the "File containing reclass rules [optional]" field, enter the file path to roots.txt. You don't need to do any other manipulation to the file itself.

Hope this helps!

--Henry
  • EkvinayEkvinay Member
    Dear Henry,

Thank you so much. Yeah I got it and I could reclass now. Yes you are right that It is contained in the zipped folder, but I had thought that It is for only sample data, not for my own data. Now after I compare your given "roots.txt" and the sample's "roots.txt" are the same. Now I understood that it is actually for any.

thank again. (I am sorry for my missing-understand)

It helps a lot, and I hope you will concern along my learning path.

Yours sincerely,
    Ek

• EkvinayEkvinay Member
    Dear Stacie,

I passed it now the issue of 'roots.txt' (Yahoooo! Yey Yey)

Thank you very much for your clarification and advice. I will try my bests to learn InVEST models, they are wonderful.  In the past, I learn only theory of ecosystem service and never done modelling, but after I learn through the MOOC regarding InVEST software, I think It is suitable model to start in the environment of lacking data like my place. I will start from 'water yield', 'sediment retention'.....I hope you could harness me along my way of learning.

Yours sincerely,
    Ek
    Great! Glad to hear that you are progressing.

One important note is that the sample data is really only to be used for learning the models, it is not intended to be used in your own projects. 

Happy to help as you learn.

~ Stacie