Communication Error with Rec model

I am trying to run the rec model and keep getting the following message:

"CommunicationError encountered: cannot connect: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond See log for details."

And here is the output from the log:

07/03/2018 09:07:42  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Writing log messages to C:\Users\clittles\Desktop\Tillamook\InVEST-Recreation-Model-log-2018-07-03--09_07_42.txt
07/03/2018 09:07:42  natcap.invest.ui.model Level 100 Starting model with parameters: 
Arguments for InVEST natcap.invest.recreation.recmodel_client 3.4.4:
aoi_path           C:/Users/clittles/Desktop/Tillamook/Tillshed.shp
cell_size          1000
compute_regression False
end_year           2014
grid_aoi           True
grid_type          hexagon
results_suffix     2014
start_year         2014
workspace_dir      C:\Users\clittles\Desktop\Tillamook

07/03/2018 09:07:43  natcap.invest.recmodel_client INFO     Contacting server, please wait.
07/03/2018 09:08:04  natcap.invest.ui.model ERROR    Exception while executing <function execute at 0x1419DDF0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\gce-windows-1\release_env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\model.py", line 1505, in _logged_target
  File "c:\users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\gce-windows-1\release_env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\recreation\recmodel_client.py", line 168, in execute
  File "site-packages\Pyro4\core.py", line 247, in __getattr__
  File "site-packages\Pyro4\core.py", line 543, in _pyroGetMetadata
  File "site-packages\Pyro4\core.py", line 498, in __pyroCreateConnection
CommunicationError: cannot connect: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
07/03/2018 09:08:04  natcap.invest.ui.model INFO     Execution finished
07/03/2018 09:08:04  natcap.invest.utils INFO     Elapsed time: 21.71s

I was recently required to do a Windows 10 update so I am not sure if that could be the underlying cause or not.

Can someone please assist in resolving this issue? Thanks

Comments

• DaveDave Member, Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Thanks for reporting this issue. This error has been encountered before (see this thread). Unfortunately it seems to be an intermittent problem that's probably related to the fact that this model requires a persistent internet connection between your local machine and the cloud server. So a spotty internet connection could be the culprit.

You could try reducing the size of your AOI, or increasing the cell size, both of which will reduce the processing time. We think very large requests and long processes are more prone to this error. If you continue to get this error please let me know here. You could send me your input data for testing on my end.

I just tested the model with no issues, so I can confirm the server is up and running.
  • Hello Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried increasing the grid size and reducing the aoi by ~75% and still get the same error message. I am running the model from a federal computer so I wonder if some firewall is inhibiting communication with the server. I have run these models from my personal computer in the past and never had an issue.

I will try running the model from my other laptop.

On a somewhat unrelated note, are there any plans to extend the REC output beyond 2014?

Thank You

• DaveDave Member, Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Ah yes, firewalls could be an issue as well. I've heard about one other instance of this problem when running this model from a federal agency network. Hope you have success from your other laptop.

And yes, we actually *just* did this, extending the database with photos taken from 2005-2017. The user-interface won't reflect that until our next major release, but as of now you can input 2017 as the "end year". I'll announce this in a separate thread here now.
  • Great - thanks for the heads-up!