This forum is shutting down! Please post new discussions at community.naturalcapitalproject.org

Wondering about what data determines the scale.

Hello, I am an InVEST user.

I am curious about How the resolution of the output is determined.

For example, if I use a 30-meter-scale land cover, a 10-meter DEM, and another 15-meter material,
I wonder what determines spatial scale the output would follow

1. If there is a specified data that determines the scale of the input data or
2. Follow the resolution of the finest or most unfine material

Your answer will be helpful to me.

Have a good day

Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    Hi @ysunparc -

It depends on which model you're using. For the hydrology models that use a DEM, the DEM determines the output resolution, because if our models resample that, they might really change the hydrology, which we don't want to do. For models that use a land cover map, but no DEM, the land cover determines the resolution, since the models are generally most sensitive to the land cover map, we'd rather not change it if possible. If you have questions about a particular model, let us know.

~ Stacie

• RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    And really, if you've got a bunch of rasters with different resolutions you might want to consider aligning all of them yourself before you pass them to InVEST. This'll give you better control on what happens if an interpolation step needs to occur because of different pixel sizes. Otherwise, we try to do a good job by default. :)
  • Thank you

Your answer helped me a lot! :)