Qt untested windows version 10.0 detected! - Error message

Hello, I have not been able to find any info on this error message in the forums... When I try to boot any of the models, all I get is a terminal message ( Qt untested windows version 10.0 detected! ) that shuts down after about 1 second, after which nothing happens (InVest does not boot). Any advice?

Comments

• jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Interesting!  We've seen the error message before, but this is the first time I've heard of InVEST failing to launch.  Usually when InVEST crashes (and that black console window disappears), some error information is printed to the console.  It would be really helpful to see what the message says.  Could you try the following steps and let me know what is printed to the console?

1. Open up either powershell or cmd
    2. type: "C:\InVEST_3.4.2_x86\invest-3-x86\invest.exe carbon"

Hopefully this should show the Qt error message and then some more text about why InVEST is crashing.
  • OrbLordOrbLord Member
    edited February 14
    C:\InVEST_3.4.2_x86\invest-3-x86\invest.exe carbon
    Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "natcap\invest\cli.py", line 534, in <module>
      File "natcap\invest\cli.py", line 501, in main
      File "c:\users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\gce-windows-1\release_env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\carbon.py", line 13, in __init__
      File "c:\users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\gce-windows-1\release_env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\model.py", line 1168, in __init__
      File "c:\users\natcap-servers\jenkins-home\workspace\natcap.invest\label\gce-windows-1\release_env\lib\site-packages\natcap\invest\ui\inputs.py", line 1543, in set_value
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 12: invalid continuation byte
    Failed to execute script cli
    Post edited by OrbLord on
    This is turning out to be much more interesting (and tricky to debug) than expected.  In short, the issue looks to be that there's an umlaut (probably) in a filepath (perhaps your home directory?) that is causing InVEST to crash.  This should be fixed, and I'm working on a solution at the moment.  Converting between various character encodings is really tricky business, and we really want to be sure to get this right.

More soon!
    Hi @OrbLord, could you try out this development build and see if it allows you to launch InVEST?  Here's the download link: http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/nightly-build/invest-forks/jdouglass/InVEST_jdouglass3.4.2.post79+nd6763695fe3d_x86_Setup.exe