Has someone used the InVEST HRA for assessing cumulative risks to a single marine species?

Hi everyone,

I would like to use the InVEST HRA for assessing cumulative risks to a single species, in my case the flatback turtle. 
Has someone used the model that way? 
Would someone be able to send me any papers that have used this model for a single species (ideally marine)? 
Who could I contact to have more info about using the HRA model in that context?

Some background regarding my questions: As part of the North West Shelf Flatback Turtle Conservation Program,
which is a 30-year program that aims to conserve flatback turtles in Western Australian waters, at
nesting beaches and throughout their range, I am looking at options for
designing and running a spatial risk assessment model for flatback turtles. Our
question is: can we identify hotspots of risks for flatback turtles in WA? We
would like to identify (1) important (in terms of density) nesting sites that
are highly impacted by human activities and (2) important (in terms of density)
nesting sites that are still "pristine". 
I am interested in the InVEST HRA and have read the papers I found on the website that have used it, in addition to the instruction manual and did the online tutorial. I am however still not entirely sure if I could use the HRA
for assessing cumulative risks to a single species. 

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Hi, Sabrina!

I haven't used the HRA model for a single species, but maybe you'd be interested in my application for coral reefs: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0964569116303258

In your case, I suppose you would have to define the habitat as the beach where the turtles nest and then identify the main stressors for the species (i.e. presence of humans and domestic animals on the beach, city lights, etc) with their respective values and buffers.

In my experience, the results I had with the HRA model did indeed allow me to identify more "pristine" coral reefs areas and areas with greater human impacts - so I think it would work for you!

cheers,
    Carla
  • Jess_SilverJess_Silver Member
    edited November 15
    Hi Sabrina,

We adapted the habitat risk assessment model to be used as a species risk assessment model by changing the ranking criteria.  We've done multiple species, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for a single species.  See below for a methods document that breaks down the ranking criteria, an example of how those methods were applied in an application in BC Canada and a useful paper.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the methods, or how to run the model.

Thanks,
    Jess
    Post edited by Jess_Silver on