Basic question about watershed size in SWY model

Hello,
I wish to use the Season Water Yield model, but before I start compiling the appropriate data I wanted to ask what is a rough upper limit/appropriate size for the AOI-watershed? I'd like to trend towards a larger watershed, if computationally possible.

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• PerrinePerrine Moderator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Michael, 
    There's no theoretical upper limit for the watershed area so this shouldn't be an issue.
    Best,
    Perrine
  • Hi All,
    Not sure if I should start a new thread or stick with this one. Please let me know if it'd be better to initiate a new thread and I'll do that in the future. 

I've organized the basic data to the SWY model and (after a few errors regarding projections) have everything projected on the same UTM_11N system and all the initial operations seem to run smoothly. But now the model is ending with an error that I can't decipher. Log file is attached. Any idea what the problem is here? 

Thanks,
    Michael
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @michael_weinerman, you know I just did a whole haul of bug fixes in the SWY model and released it in a development version of InVEST. Before we do any further debugging, would you be willing to install the development version and run that on your same datastack? Download is here: http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/invest-releases/3.4.0rc1.post98+n25335179f797/InVEST_3.4.0rc1.post98+n25335179f797_x86_Setup.exe
  • Hey Rich,
    I'll install that and give it a try and then proceed from there. Thanks!

Michael 
  • Hey @Rich
    I installed the development version and ran it on my datastack. The run ends with a red notification regarding corresponding entries in the 'lul_aligned' raster. Does this mean that I have erroneous entries in my lulc map that need to be corrected?  

The log is attached.

Thanks,
    Michael 
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi @michael_weinerman, I agree that error is a little obtuse to read, but what it's saying is the algorithm encountered a "14" but there was no corresponding entry in the biophysical table. The part that follows that looks like "{0.0: 0.7, 1.0: 1.0, 2.0: 1.0,..." is showing the values found in the biophysical table. You'll notice that 14 is missing.

• Gotcha. And, yes that was my problem. I was using one of the LULC's that was reccomended in the InVEST manual. The website it came from did a poor job of explaining that even though the legend says 0-13 what they actually mean is 0-12+14. Seems odd... but it's working now! 

Thanks again,
    Michael