How to estimate carbon sequestration whit carbon storage

Hi,

I whould like to use the output of carbon storage from InVEST carbon model to estimate how much can be sequestred per year. I mean, the original output from model, using carbon pools, gives me an static carbon stored in ecosystems, but i whould like to know the sequestration per year.

I have seen on user guide that i can estimate it if i know the carbon stored in one year (t1) and the carbon stored in other year (t2) , but i havent got data for other year. Are there a method to estimate it? or i have to know the growth ratio of my study area and use it to know the % of growth?

thanks in advance

Alberto

Comments

• Hi Alberto, 

Thanks for your question.  Before I answer, can you confirm that you're using the "Carbon" model and not the "Coastal Blue Carbon" model?  Are you working in a terrestrial landscape?  Knowing a little more about your work will help make sure we answer your question as completely as possible.  

- Katherine   
  • Hi Kwyatt,

I have run the model using only information about pools of carbon, i would like to know if i can do something whit this data to know the sequestration capacity.

Thanks

Alberto
  • RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Alberto, 

Sequestration (or emissions) need to be calculated over a time period. The carbon model allows for this by letting you indicate "Calculate Sequestration" which you then provide a current and future landcover map.

Is this what you're getting at? If not, please post again and we can help further.

Rich
  • Hi Rich,

"If the user provides both a current and future LULC map, then the net change in carbon storage over time (sequestration and loss) and its social value can be calculated. To estimate this change in carbon sequestration over time, the model is simply applied to the current landscape and a projected future landscape, and the difference in storage is calculated, map unit by map unit. If multiple future scenarios are available, the differences between the current and each alternate future landscape can be compared"

An example. We have a map whit pixels of 1 Ha (is not my case), if we have 0,5 Ha of forest at the current scenario and on future scenario we have 1 Ha of forest at same pixel, "sequestration" is the increase of surface not the growth ratio. It dont includes processes of the whole forest like growth processes, i need to know how much % or net Carbon can keep each LULC per year growing up.

Thanks so much to whole team of this forum for rapid answers and good support service.

Alberto

• Hi Alberto, 

I'm afraid the model isn't designed to answer exactly what you're looking for.  The carbon model is primarily designed to look at increased or decreased carbon storage as a product of land cover change (change in "surface").  For example, conversion from agriculture to forest will result in increased carbon storage (i.e. "sequestration") between the two time periods.  The model does not have pre-determined growth rates for different cover types.  If you're interested in the sequestration rate (or growth ratio) of a cover type (e.g. forest), one way to do this would be to create two cover types for which you can associate unique carbon pools for, for example new growth forest and old-growth forest.  You could then use existing literature and studies to inform the carbon pool values for each of the forest types.  

I hope this helps. 

- Katherine  
  • Hi Kwyatt,

Yes, that`s what i expected. Then lets search some information about growth rate.

Thanks

Alberto