Habitat quality, sensitivity_samp

Hi all,
In the sensitivity_samp file, what do the different headings stand for?
Regards
Fabio

Comments

• RichRich Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hi Fabio, I wasn't sure myself, but looking in the user's guide, I see this:

Columns: columns contain data on land use types and their sensitivities to threatss. Columns must be named according to the naming conventions below.

LULC: numeric code for each LULC type. Values must match the codes used in the LULC maps submitted in inputs # 1 through 3. All LULC types that appear in the current, future, or baseline maps (inputs # 1 through 3) need to appear as a row in this table.
    NAME: the name of each LULC
    HABITAT: Each LULC is assigned a habitat score, Hj, from 0 to 1. If you want to simply classify each LULC as habitat or not without reference to any particular species group then use 0s and 1s where a 1 indicates habitat. Otherwise, if sufficient information is available on a species group’s habitat preferences, assign LULC a relative habitat suitability score from 0 to 1 where 1 indicates the highest habitat suitability. For example a grassland songbird may prefer a native prairie habitat above all other habitat types (prairie is given a “Habitat” score of 1 for grassland birds), but will also use a managed hayfield or pasture in a pinch (managed hayfield and pasture is given a “Habitat” score of 0.5 for grassland birds).
    L_THREAT1, L_THREAT2, etc.: The relative sensitivity of each habitat type to each threat. You will have as many columns named like this as you have threat, and the italicized portions of names must match row names in the “Threat data” table noted above (input # 4). Values range from 0 to 1, where 1 represents high sensitivity to a threat and 0 represents no sensitivity. Note: Even if the LULC is not considered habitat, do not leave its sensitivity to each threat as Null or blank, instead enter a 0 and the model will convert it to NoData.

It'd probably help to read the whole thing, I'm getting this from #7 in the Data Needs section: http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/nightly-build/invest-users-guide/html/habitat_quality.html#data-needs
  • Hi Rich,
    thanks for that. Yes, I went through the things, but those codes are not explained. Anyways, I guess lrds is light traffic roads, rot is rotational crops, and so on,  just looking at the landuses present in the table.
    Cheers
    F.
  • swolnyswolny Member, NatCap Staff
    The threats in the sample data are specifically for the sample data - there are light duty roads, rotational crops, urban, railroads, etc that we provide input data for. Sorry there's not an explanation of these. In your area of interest, the threats are likely to be different, and you can call them whatever you like (as long as the names are short). The "lrds" and "rot"  could be "road" and "crop" for you, you just need to make sure that all of your fields and inputs files are named according to what names you choose.

~ Stacie
  • Thanks Stacie,
    I managed to make it work and I have the attached results for the quality map. I get values up 0.17 for the degradation map. Can the values get to 1 theoretically?
    Cheers
    F.