Addtional Parameters - Coastal Vulnerability Model

Hi guys,
I want to add more additional parameters in InVEST Coastal Vulnerability model. By default there is option to add only one additional parameter. How do I add more than one additional parameters.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

From your message it sounds like you would like to add more variables/layers to the model (as opposed to other types of model parameters).  You're right, there is an option to add one additional variable into the model - and the easiest way to add more is to do it manually outside of the model.  This will require a little bit of GIS work but the way that I would do it is to run the model with all the variables you can and then do a spatial join to intersect the shoreline points with the ranks from your new variable.  You should end up with an associated rank for each shoreline point and then you can manually recompute the exposure index.  I believe we've touched on this a little bit already when you were computing different SLR scenarios (so you know all the variable ranks are output in the .csv).

I don't know what type of variable you are looking to include, but you'll have to do any processing on this variable (e.g. calculating ranks from the distribution of values, etc.) outside of the models and just intersect the final ranks with your shoreline points.  Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Jess
  • Hey Jess,

I got what you said. Now using the same technique I used for Sea Level Rise Scenarios I have added other addition parameters. Output has come good. But there is another problem, The output doesnt properly sit on the coast. It is irregular and different from the original coast. I have attached screen shot of the output and original coast line. I tried increasing the resolution of the output but got memory error. What should I do to get correct output that sits on the coast.

880 x 607 - 751K
  • Hi,

Two things:

(1)  It looks like you're using a land polygon that differs slightly from the satellite imagery here.  The grid should trace the outline of whatever land polygon you used.  

(2) The model generates a point shapefile, which is usually what I use to make graphics and do summary statistics etc.  The points are plotted as the centroids of your raster, so, they'll be offset from the coast a little bit. You can snap the coastal exposure points to the coastline using the 'snap' function in Arc (I'm sure there's an analogous one in Q, but I'm not sure what it's called).  You'll have to join the point shapefile to your ranks/EI using the .csv (usually I just export the .csv to points and create a new point shapefile from that).

J.
  • Hi Jess,
    Thank you. Now I will update my land polygon. For some reason I cannot use snap function in ArcGIS. 

Thank you for your help. 
  • Ok, good luck.  Again, I'm sure there's a snap function in Q, I just haven't investigated it yet.

J.