Invest and Mac OS Sierra

Good morning,

I would like to install Invest on my Mac OS Sierra (10.12.2) but I can’t. I read instructions and I do everything up to this:
'Locate the model executable you would like to run, right-click it and select “Open”. In the dialog that pops up,
click “Open” again. You will need to do this the first time you launch a new InVEST model.
I click “Open” twice but Invest crashes: it doesn’t open and errors don't appear.

Thanks to anyone who will help me!

Tagged:

Comments

• jdouglassjdouglass Administrator, NatCap Staff
    Hello, is there any chance you're trying to launch the binaries from the disk image?  If so, could you try copying the invest_3.3.2_unstable folder from the disk image to your Applications folder and then try running one of the models from /Applications/invest_3.3.2_unstable?
  • I try running models from /Applications/inVEST_3.3.2_unstable ...
    1708 x 1040 - 287K
    Ok great ... that's by far the most common problem we've encountered with installing on a mac :)

In the interest of debugging, would you be willing to enter a command in the terminal for me and pasting the output here?  It would help greatly with debugging the issue by allowing us to see any error messages produced on application launch:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo}
    span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}

/Applications/InVEST_3.3.2_unstable/.invest_dist/invest carbon

Whoops ... looks like there was some extra formatting that was copied into the comment.  The command that would be helpful is:

Thanks!
  • Thank you very much!!! =)

The terminal doesn't find these command: p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo}
    span.s1 {font-variant-ligatures: no-common-ligatures}

...but when I write 
    in the terminal and then click enter key on keyboard, InVEST carbon open!

It's the same with GRASS GIS, I must launch some applications by the terminal...I forgot it!

...Thanks!
  • Commands in the terminal are these:
    1308 x 900 - 144K
    OK!  I'm glad InVEST at least runs as expected from the command line!  I'm still curious about why nothing happens when trying to launch the application files (the ones with the green InVEST icons).  I'll look into it a bit more and get back to you soon.

In the meantime, here's a reference document about the various command-line options available for the invest command-line interface: http://invest.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cli.html, in case that's useful.
  • Thanks! 
    Hi @MartaRoggero,  I'm so sorry for the long delay with this issue.  If you're still working with InVEST, you may be interested in trying out this latest development build that has been verified to run on Sierra: http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/nightly-build/invest-forks/jdouglass/InVEST%203.3.3.post76+ne17bf6d88f33.dmg.

Note that this build includes a prototype model launcher instead of separate application bundles for each InVEST model.  This is a necessary part of the fix for OSX Sierra.  These changes will be included in an upcoming release of InVEST.
  • dkavdkav Member
    Launcher will not start in the updated build on my Sierra (10.12.4). I can get it to start from Terminal by running inVest.sh but once up and running none of the tools will run. Path like error:

05/10/2017 14:39:06  natcap.invest.iui.launcher INFO     Launching carbon
    /bin/sh: invest: command not found

• dkavdkav Member
    I should add that I can start the individual models from command line via their startup scripts.

(Thanks to Rich for unlocking my forum account!)
    Hi @dkav, thanks for letting me know!  So I can try to reproduce on my end, how are you launching InVEST on the command-line?
  • dkavdkav Member
    . ./InVEST

In the following folder:

/Applications/InVEST_3.3.3.post76+ne17bf6d88f33_unstable/InVEST.app/Contents/MacOS

BTW, Launcher is now working from Finder. But the individual models still do not start from the GUI. (I have had a few reboots since my original post.)
    Could you try out this build?  I think it might address the issue:  http://data.naturalcapitalproject.org/nightly-build/invest-forks/jdouglass/InVEST 3.3.3.post80+nda6bdae814bb.dmg

Thanks!
    James
  • dkavdkav Member
    The fix resolve the issue. Each model now starts up from the launcher.

Thanks,
    Darren
    Awesome, thanks for checking!  I'll see that this is merged into InVEST.
This discussion has been closed.