Calibration for the seasonal water yield

Hi everyone,

I'm working with the seasonal water yield model, and I'm trying to find the best way to calibrate the model. I was thinking to use a wet, a dry and an average year precipitation and temperature data for my area, and with that data interpolate them to make the raster files for monthly precipitation and evapotranspiration. With those files, I'm then going to run the model and play around with the parameters until the yearly average evapotranspiration predictions matched the observed ones that I have.

Is that the best way to do it? What are other people doing?

Also, I'm using sites from different parts of America, so I was using the WorldClim database to get the current conditions for each site. Has anyone used them to run the model? Do they differ too much from using local data?

Thank you!

Comments

• kbagstadkbagstad Member
    Hi Vanesa - 

I'm working on the same topic - have a well calibrated annual water yield model, but the seasonal model is substantially overpredicting water yield/underpredicting AET vs. observed . 

My understanding is that you'd run the model using wet/dry/average year precipitation (I assume average reference ET is fine?) and align it as best as possible to observed AET - for example from MODIS-MOD16 - adjusting the beta and gamma parameters and Kc values. This seems preferable to trying to calibrate summed Q + B to streamflow, since baseflow can in some cases take years to appear as surface water yield and would introduce error into the calibration.

Ken