Sediment Valuation in the new Sediment Delivery Ratio Model

Hello,
My name is Matt and I am trying to use InVEST to estimate sediment removal costs. I noticed that the previously called 'Sediment Retention Model' from v3.0.1 has recently been replaced by the 'Sediment Delivery Ratio Model'. Reading the user guide it would seem that both models allow for economic valuation by including avoided sediment removal costs, however, there does not seem to be an option to include the sediment valuation table when running the SDR model. Am I missing something, or is the model perhaps still under maintenance? Which model can I use to include sediment removal costs? Thanks for your time.

Matt

PhD Student-CSU Economics
U.S. Forest Service Researcher (RMRS)

Comments

• PerrinePerrine Moderator, NatCap Staff
    Dear Matt, 

Thanks for your question and for reading the user's guide thoroughly.
    As you note, there is no built-in economic valuation in the new sediment retention model (SDR). We believe that there is too much heterogeneity in the socio-economic contexts to provide one generic approach. This is why several options are presented (see Quantitative valuation in the user guide), rather than one module embedded in InVEST.

We plan to produce better guidance on which methods should be used when and how, but this project is unfortunately not on the high-priority list so I wouldn't expect anything in the near term.

That said, if you were interested in a simple/simplistic approach to calculate avoided dredging costs, I attach a spreadsheet detailing how you can use InVEST in that context. Again, there are a lot of assumptions behind the approach, some of them outlined in the user guide, others that are general assumptions pertaining to economic valuation methods (e.g. use of discount rate) that you may want to discuss with an economist.

Let me know if you have any questions about the spreadsheet or the assumptions!

Best,

Perrine
  • Hey Perrine,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I figured that I could do the valuation separately, but I wasn't too sure of the best way to incorporate it. That example made it clear though. I will contact you guys if any more questions arise, thanks for your time!